My babys having a baby

Thursday, February 16, 2006

There is a belly!

I noticed Jayme seemed a bit fuller around the waist the other day, but I figured she had layers of clothing on, because, after all, she is just 9 weeks pregnant. Baby is size of a grape, so how could she be *showing* just yet. However later she came down in jammie bottoms and a tank top and there is definitely a bump! It is a rather cute bump too, if I do say so myself :)

Its strange to watch her body change, the protective feelings it brings up in me are amazing. Of course as a mom, I have always been protective of my babes, but this is different, more instinctive, more ferocious. I can't quite explain it, but its a primitive and quite aggressive desire to surround her in protection. Maybe that is how people feel when their partners are pregnant. It's really curious and interesting to me though. Each tummy ache, sore muscle, headache or complaint has my heart skipping a beat. Each time somebody asks her once again if she knows what she is getting into makes me lean toward violent tendencies, every rude comment makes my skin crawl. It's amazing what a pregnant girl can do to a rational woman.

Of course, I have been concerned about her making it to term considering her size. I try to comfort myself with all I know, but it seems to fade completely because I come up with every possible What-If scenario possible. I know from Doula school and countless births I have been to that she should do fine, I need to trust nature. I have, or should I say had, convinced myself that I was worrying for nothing until I got a call last night. As I was leaving work I noticed I had 5 missed calls. Come to find out, one of the young mama's that I was supposed to be a doula for, had went into labor 8 weeks early. She gave birth last night to a healthy 4 1/2 pound baby boy. I went to visit her, arriving 20 minutes after she gave birth. Of course, I am completely in a panic once again, because that could be MY daughter in a few months. I don't want that path for Jayme, it will be hard enough to parent a healthy newborn but starting with a preemie is a whole different story.

So, I think my recurring theme is worry and protection. Maybe I should just get used to it. It's so easy to give advice (trust your body! Trust nature! Trust your instinct!) and a WHOLE different story to follow it!

2 Comments:

  • Your story is so personal to me because I was a young, single mama and now am a parent of an almost-16yo. I know it's only anecdotal evidence, but I thought you'd like to know that I was 5-2" and 103 pounds when I fell pregnant 16 years ago. Full term I only weighed 128 pounds and the OB continually urged me to EAT! EAT! Which I did, but I was young and burned off calories rapidly! When my daughter was born at 9lbs, 14oz the doc almost dropped her out of surprise (and the force of my last push, LOL).

    Trust her body. Remember that our hips were made for birthin' and they are usually much bigger on the inside than they look on the outside. You are a doula and you've seen it all. Your daughter is seeing a wonderful midwife rather than a harried OB in a busy, impersonal practice. I did it under less fortunate circumstances, and she can too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:41 AM  

  • Oh! And I was 8 days late too. Size of the mama has nothing to do with preterm labor. Nutrition and genetics do. Have her choke down 80-120mg protein and 4 Calcium/Magnesium supplements a day. That will go a very long way toward keeping that baby in there full term.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home